SPY's Newsletter 1/28/23
SPY’s Community Newsletter #241
Latest News From The Sunfield Summer Athletic Association (SSAA)
This coming Monday, January 30th at 6:30 PM, there will be a parent meeting held at the Sunfield Community Rooms for the purpose of discussing the past and upcoming season, as well as electing the 2023 SSAA Board. All past, current and future parents are encouraged to attend as well as to bring any apparel or equipment with life left to contribute to the "Sunfield Equipment Sharing Program".
Monday, February 6th - Online sign ups will be open for the 2023 Ball Season. More information will be forthcoming.
Saturday, February 18th 10AM - 12PM the SSAA will hold in person sign ups at the Sunfield Library. There will be uniform shirts and pants for kids to try on. We will also have some apparel and equipment available for parents.
Can't attend an in-person event but have something to share with the board or items to donate? Email the SSAA at email@example.com or call/text Christina at 616-893-7942 and we will make arrangements for pick up.
Next SPY Meeting
The next meeting of the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth (SPY’s) will be held on Tuesday, February 14th. starting at 6:30 PM, at the Best Tax Service building. Guests are always welcome!
· The SPY’s would like to acknowledge and welcome the newest member of our Corporate Sponsor Program-----Portland Federal Credit Union (PFCU). We sincerely appreciate your willingness to partner with us to help kids and the community!
· John & Sandra Fisher made a donation in memory of Ron Ackerson.
• Deep Thought of the Week: How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
· Notable Quote: “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
• That’s Puny Department: Did you hear about the hamburger that walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "I’m sorry, but we don’t serve food here".
• Did You Know Section: Once upon a time, long, long ago, there was a college football team, Sewanee College, which is located in the mountains of Tennessee, that posted an undefeated 12 – 0 record---and outscored their opponents 322 to 10. During that season they beat the likes of Georgia; Auburn; Ole Miss; LSU; Texas; Texas A&M; Tennessee; Georgia Tech; Tulane; and North Carolina. Also, during their season they did something that will NEVER be accomplished again in college football.
Sewanee’s 1899 season was very successful. From October 21st. through December 2nd., under the leadership of Coach Herman [Billy] Suter and future Football Hall of Famer captain Henry “Diddy” Seibels, the Sewanee team, officially the Tigers but nicknamed the "Iron Men," played and won twelve games---was unscored upon except for one game with Auburn---outscored their opponents 322 to 10---and were champions of the South. Most of their twelve opponents, including Tennessee, Louisiana State, and Texas, are among the all-time powers in US college football. The Auburn team they beat was coached by John Heisman, after whom the Heisman Trophy is named.
The 1899 Iron Men team's most notable accomplishment was a six-day period from November 9th. to 14th. which is arguably the greatest road trip in college football history. Manager Luke Lea put together an improbable schedule of playing five big name opponents in six days, outscoring them for a total of 91-0, including Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss. Sewanee played and shut-out them all while traveling by train for 2500 miles. This feat, barring fundamental changes in modern-day football, can never be equaled.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Community Newsletters, just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.