SPY's Newsletter 9/4/2021
SPY’s Community Newsletter #160
SPY’s Salute Centennial Acres Golf Course
Pictured (right) is John Fisher Director in the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth presenting the “Exceptional Support” Award to Allen Haskin, Chairman of the Board of Directors for Centennial Acres. Centennial Acres is being recognized by the SPY’s for going out of their way to put on a benefit golf outing in the midst of the COVID crisis in 2020 to financially help fund the various SPY’s youth and community programs. This magnanimous effort was quite a blessing at a time where the SPY’s were unable to conduct any fund-raiser on their own for better than a year and a half!
Next SPY Meeting
The next meeting of the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth will take place this coming Tuesday, September 14th. Please be advised that we will be meeting at the Sunfield Library and that the meeting will start at 6:30 PM! Guests are always welcome. Hope to see you there.
Important Information From Lisa Bell, Director
of the Sunfield District Library
‘I attended a meeting Wednesday, at the Eaton County Courthouse. It was in regards to Eaton County's broadband improvement. There is a great need in this area. Things like availability, excessive pricing, and lack of providers were topics discussed. In an effort to address these issues, there is a survey that they are asking all of Eaton County to fill out. At the meeting we were encouraged to share the information with as many groups as possible. I filled out the survey for the library and it is pretty straight-forward and simple to follow. For people without services, the library has paper forms to hand out.” PLEASE feel free to share this information with anyone you feel would be beneficial.
Take the Eaton County Broadband Survey yourself at https://myconnectedcommunity.org/eaton-county!
Home Run Derby Champ
Pictured is the Farmer’s Picnic Home Run Derby Champion Dustin Courtney taking a mighty swing on his way to victory in the annual contest. This year’s competition had twelve entries. Dustin won it with five “dingers” over runner-up James Hyatt’s four.
Adopt-A-Highway Trash Pick-Up Coming!
The final Adopt-A-Highway trash pick-up of the season will take place on Saturday, September 25th. The SPY's pick-up trash along M-43 from Round Lake Road on the west side of town to Shaytown Road on the east side of town, three times a year in conjunction with the Michigan Department of Transportation program. Anyone interested in lending a hand, just show up at 9 AM in the Best Tax Service parking lot just West of the Sunfield blinker light. If you need more information please call our project chairman Derek Desgranges at 269-838-7686.
Derek says if for any reason you can’t make it on the 25th, but would still like to help out by doing some picking up on a different day, just give him a call and get some bags and he will give you a small section to take care of.
• Deep Thought of the Week: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.
• Notable Quote: “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”― Thomas A. Edison
• That’s Puny Department: Albert Einstein was a genius and worthy of praise and study. His brother Frank was an absolute monster.
• Did You Know Section? Hall of Fame boxer, Sugar Ray Robinson backed out of a fight once because he had a dream that he was going to kill his opponent in the ring. After a priest and minister convinced Robinson to fight, Robinson went into the ring and accidentally killed his opponent, Jimmy Doyle.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.