SPY's Newsletter 9/24/2023
SPY’s Community Newsletter
Thank You Texas Hold ‘Em Volunteers!!!
Last Monday through Thursday the SPY’s were scheduled to work a Texas Hold ‘Em event fundraiser selling chips to the players. We do this four times a year as a means to generate significant funds for the various youth and community programs and projects the SPY’s support. This time around for some reason we ran into a problem with getting folks to volunteer to do the simple tasks involved. However, we did manage to get the event covered due to the extra effort of some dedicated people. We send out a very sincere Thank-You to:
Jeff Gibbs (worked two shifts)
Betsy Gibbs (worked two shifts)
Sandy Fisher (worked two shifts)
John Fisher (worked three shifts)
Thank You Trash Pickers!
Project Chairman Derek “Captain Highway” Desgranges would like to send out a BIG Sunfield Area SPY salute to the following fine folks who helped out on our third and final Adopt-A-Highway trash pick-up of the season this past Saturday, as well as some of the folks that took advantage of the option of participating earlier in the week. Thank you:
John & Sandy Fisher
Steve & Christina Grosshans
Job well done pickers!
Got Your Tickets Yet?
It is back!!! If you haven’t already heard, the legendary Art Meade is once again sponsoring what he is calling “The Second Annual Remember When 50’s and 60’s Sock Hop”. (The one he sponsored last year was a sold-out mega success!)
It will be held on Saturday, October 7th from 7 to 11 PM, at the “Ever After” hall located at 1230 North Michigan Avenue in Hastings.
He has again booked the fabulous “Misty Blues Party Band” out of Detroit. They are great! It’s a 7-piece band, with a horn section and 2 female singers. There will be snacks and non-alcoholic refreshments provided. A cash bar will be available.
Tickets are available from any of the following:
Art Meade 269-331-0661
John Fisher 517-648-0969
Sandy Johnson 269-953-5260
Razor’s Edge 269-948-9767
Olde Town Tavern 269-948-8531
This year tickets will also be available at the door.
· John & Sandra Fisher made a contribution to the Scholarship Fund in memory of Gary Roth.
· Deep Thought of the Week: The hardest thing about “everything happens for a reason” is waiting for the reason to come along.
• Notable Quote: "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair."-----C. S. LEWIS
• That’s Puny Department: If you suck at playing the trumpet…that’s probably why.
• Did You Know Section: It wasn’t until 1912, that what was destined to be the world’s all-time favorite cookie---The Oreo---made its appearance. Some two hundred billion of them have been produced and sold to date---enough, if piled one on top of the other, to reach the moon and back three times!
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.