SPY's Newsletter 8/31/2021
SPY’s Community Newsletter #158
SPY’s Honor Shana Cappon
Pictured (left) is Steve Grosshans, President of the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth (SPY’s), presenting the SPY’s 2020 Outstanding Service Award to Shana Cappon.
Shana is receiving the 2020 Outstanding Service Award for her many years of service as the SPY’s Treasurer, and for the many projects and activities she helps with every year.
She also recently stepped up when longtime Community Foundation CFO Bill Weller retired and took on that organization’s role as Treasurer.
For those wondering what it looks like to be a hard working selfless member of society, you need to look no further than Shana Cappon the SPY’s 2020 Outstanding Service Award Winner
Frog Jump Champions
Pictured are the 2021 Farmer’s Picnic Frog Jump Winners. They are, Tyson Johnson, Gage LaRoche, Braeleigh Miller, Brendan Gawne and Tatum Petrie.
The Frog Jumping Contest had two categories this year, those that collected and brought their own frog (seven children) and those that used frogs from the community bucket (12 children) that were collected by Oren Best. Some of the winners included: Tatum Petrie for the Smallest Jumping Frog; Tyson Johnson had the longest jump total of 124 inches in a combined three jumps with his best named frog Babbitts; Braeleigh Miller’s frog Fred won second place with Fred jumping 74” and being awarded the largest frog and Will Thorington earned third place with his frog jumping 70”. In the Community frog jump event Gage LaRoche’s frog took first place with 103” jumped and Brendan Gawne’s frog took second place with 92” jumped. There was even some excitement when a very large frog took off on its own adventure and had to be captured several feet away from the jumping ring.
Co-ed Softball Tournament Champions
At this year’s Farmer’s Picnic there were two separate softball tournaments played. In this Newsletter we will focus on the Co-ed tournament. There were five teams that competed. The order of finish is as follows:
1. Big Word’s Crew
5. Los Primos
Pictured is the Co-ed Champion team---Big Word's Crew: front - Carson Blakely, Dylan Kemp, Eddie Salazar. back - Andrew Cleland, Sara Kring, Alyssa Pug, Whitney Hoppes, Amanda Kemp, Hunter Kemp, Anna Fry, Jeremy Innes
• Deep Thought of the Week: You can’t have a positive life with a negative mind.
• Notable Quote: ““How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!” ― Thomas Jefferson
• That’s Puny Department: I asked my date to meet me at the gym today. She didn't show up. That's when I knew we weren't gonna work out.
• Did You Know Section? If you are online shopping from a big store and your cart is HUGE. Buy one or two things first, then the rest later. A LOT of stores will put a coupon in your package (for upwards of 25% off your next purchase) when you buy one thing from their store. This ensures you shop there again. If you were already planning on spending a lot of money there this initial coupon could really soften the blow on your wallet.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with their email address and we will add them to the