SPY’s Newsletter #144
SPY’s Announce A New Corporate Sponsor
A HUGE Sunfield Area SPY salute goes out to Alan Brodbeck and Brodbeck Seed Sales on becoming the newest member of the SPY’s Corporate Sponsor Program! Thank you Alan for coming on board. Your becoming a Corporate Sponsor gives a tremendous boost in helping us help kids and the community!
Dime Pitch Booth Looking For Helpers
The Dime Pitch Booth is a fund-raiser the SPY’s run during the Sunfield Farmer’s Picnic. This year’s Picnic will be held Thursday thru Saturday, August 19th -21st.
We are looking for people willing to help out with various easy tasks to help make this event successful. By volunteering you will be helping us help kids and the community! Below are the kind of chores we need help with:
Game Setup Friday, August 20th at 8 AM
• Unloading the trailer
• Game table assembly
• Populate game table with dishes
• Game perimeter barrier assembly
• Hang tarps
• Setup of cashier’s table
• Hang game signs in appropriate places
• Secure the pavilion
Help In The Operation Of The Game
• Game will open for play at 3 PM on Friday.
• Need one individual as Cashier.
• Need three to four individuals per shift to help operate the game table on Friday and Saturday.
• Would prefer the volunteers to commit to working an entire day. However, if the entire day is not possible then we will be glad to schedule a volunteer for any timeframe he/she desires.
Duties Of Game Table Operations
• Explain rules to the gamers
• Enforce the rules
• Present prizes won by the gamers
• Replace dishes on the table as needed
• There is no need for game operators to handle money
• Help keep the gaming area neat and orderly
• Report any disturbances to the Chairman
• Food and beverages will be provided for all volunteers.
• Will take down the game on Sunday August 22nd.
• Will begin take down about 8am.
• Last year it took 3 hours to completely take down the game and load the trailer.
• Duties of take down include:
Box up all remaining prizes
Take down the signs and store them
Disassemble the game table
Disassemble the game perimeter
Take down the tarps and fold them neatly
Help load the trailer with all parts and boxes
Leave the pavilion just as we encountered it on Friday.
For more information, or to volunteer to help out in any way, please contact the Dime Pitch Booth chairman Wayne Simmons at 616-550-2876.
Some Farmer’s Picnic Tid-Bits
· The kiddie rides are returning.
There is going to be a BIG Corn Hole Tournament.
· On Friday night of the Farmer’s Picnic, (August 20th), starting around 5:30 PM or so there will be a multiple awards ceremony under the big tent in the park. Here’s some of the action that will be taking place:
+ The crowning of the Prince & Princess
+ The SPY’s recognizing various community folks in appreciation of their special extra efforts in 2020
+ The awarding of the SPY’s Community Foundation
scholarships and the Lenon Community Service award
+ The awarding of the Community Foundation’s Distinguished Service Award.
· A BIG Sunfield Area SPY thank you goes out to the following fine ladies who again made donations to the SPY’s through the Frontstream program where they work:
We appreciate your continued support!
· Thank you Cherie Johnson for donating a couple of boxes of glassware to our Dime Pitch Booth!
· Thank you as well to Kerry Wilcox and Judy Coon for their additional donations to the Dime Pitch Booth.
There is so much “stuff” to report out that there will be another Newsletter coming out in a couple of days. So, be watching for it.
• Deep Thought of the Week: Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.
• Notable Quote: “The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why.”---Mark Twain
• That’s Puny Department: I lost my job at the bank on my very first day. A woman asked me to check her balance, so I pushed her over
• Did You Know Section? "The Price is Right" TV game show premiere was back in 1956. This popular show is also TV's longest-running daily game show, surviving changes in format, networks, time slots and hosts. Bill Cullen was the first host.
If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.