SPY's Newsletter 6/18/23
SPY’s Community Newsletter #267
Centennial Acres / SPY Shootout Golf Tournament Report #2
Pictured is the intrepid brain-trust of the SPY's Centennial Acres / SPY Shootout Golf Tournament. On the left is Derick Desgranges. Next to him is Steve Grosshans. Their dedication and hard work heading-up this event is a truly commendable effort!
A BIG shout-out of thanks goes out to the fine group of helpers that volunteered to pitch in and make this year's Centennial Acres / SPY Shootout a success. We salute and thank:
· Art & Eunice Boulis made a donation in memory of Kate Mapes.
· Keith Stanton of the Seam Company made a donation.
· The Alan Brodbeck Centennial Acres / SPY Shootout golf team donated their winnings back.
· Rich Challender donated his Skins Game winnings back.
· Steve Plyte also donated his winnings back.
· The following donated their Vegas Hole winnings back:
Jordan Porter did it twice!
· There was a fine and generous gentleman by the name of Jack Griffin from Portland who "paid it forward", and unknown to the groups playing behind him, paid for the next five groups to play in the contest. What a guy!
The Sunfield Farmer’s Picnic Board will host an Ice Cream Social on Thursday, July 6, 2023 from 5:30 – 7:00 P.M. at Van Buren Park in Sunfield. At that time the 2023 grand marshal will be introduced.
The board appreciates all the wonderful nominations for the 2023 Grand Marshal. Please be assured that all nominations will be carried over for consideration in 2024.
The Sunfield Farmers Picnic Board is searching for 2023 Prince & Princess candidates. It is open to all boys and girls who will be either 4 to 7 years of age by the Wednesday before the Picnic – on August 16, 2023. Contestants must also live in the Village or Township of Sunfield. If you know of someone with children of this age, please share this information.
All contestants will take part in a ceremony where prizes will be awarded to each participant on Friday, August 18 at 6 p.m. They will also be asked to participate in the parade on Saturday, August 19 at 12 p.m. This is a great opportunity for your child to be a part of the Picnic.
Applications are due by Tues, August 8, 2023 and may be requested by e-mailing email@example.com or call Lesia Brummette at 517-566-8620.
On Friday, June 16th, did you happen to catch the nice news piece that TV Channel 47 ran on the Sunfield Library and the new "Dorothy's Book Delivery" service? This unique program was made possible by a grant from Jackie Carr in memory of her mother Dorothy Smith. It was very well done and ran at three different times that day.
Centennial Acres Golf & Banquet Center is now offering Daily Food Specials from 4 PM to 9 PM each week Monday thru Friday. In addition to their regular menu items, they now are offering at least four “specials” that will change each week. They also welcome to-go orders---517-566-8055.
• Deep Thought of the Week: The greatest thing in life is to trust and be trusted.
• Notable Quote: " Regrettably, society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility."
• That’s Puny Department: The other day a friend of mine was telling me about a book he had written, but it was rejected by his publisher. When I asked him why it had been turned down he replied, “I wrote a novel about a fellow who had a small garden. It didn't have much of a plot.”
• Question-Of-The-Week: This sport was invented in the USA in 1895. It is played in every country of the world, indoors or out, by men or women, with various numbers of players on a side. It became an official Olympic sport in 1964. What is it? (Scroll to the bottom of this Newsletter for answer)
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past
SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.
· Question-Of-The-Week Answer: VOLLEYBALL