SPY's Newsletter 3/5/2021
SPY’s Newsletter #122
Some Great News From The Library
Our library was one of only fifteen libraries in the entire state of Michigan that was selected to participate in a “Small and Rural Library Grant”. The funding from this grant is to be used for meeting community wants and needs.
Our Library is asking people to share their ideas. Ideas that would enrich the whole Sunfield area, for a community based project.
So, over the next few weeks, the head of the library, Lisa Bell, will be seeking input from community members as to what they feel the community wants and needs may be. Then, the question becomes, how can the library help support them?
Here are a few ideas that have already been shared:
· Outdoor movies every other Friday night.
· Digitizing our local newspaper archives to make history research easily accessible.
· Hosting a preschool program once or twice a month.
These are all great ideas! If you like one of these, or you have something completely different to share please send an email, or letter, or call. Lisa would love to hear from you.
Send any ideas to: firstname.lastname@example.org
112 Main Street
PO Box 97
Sunfield, MI 48890
Next Wild Game Dinner News
Pete Weller is the chairman of the SPY’s annual Wild Game Dinner / Sportsman’s Night. It is our top fund-raising event. Regrettably this year, the continued COVID shutdowns forced us to cancel the event.
Undaunted, Pete is trudging along and is already working on next year’s event, which is usually held on the first Saturday in February.
Here are some things he wanted passed along at the time:
· Table reservations are still good. If you requested a reservation at the last dinner in 2020, then your table will be reserved, if not contact Pete at 517-743-1642.
· Due to the increased number of women that attended the last dinner, we will be giving away special items for the ladies, which is new.
· We will be adjusting the format and it's possible we may do a raffle.
We are still searching for a venue to hold the event, since our old site at the Willow Wood Golf Course is no longer available. We need a place, (not too far away), with a capacity around 300-400. Someplace that serves alcohol, or allows it and a place that has fryers for the fish and our specialty meats. (This could be a mobile frying stand like the ones you see at some festivals).
Tentatively, the only lead we have at this time is at the Mulberry Four Golf Course banquet building over in Nashville. However, they don’t have the fryers or the ability to serve alcohol. It is also expensive to rent which would cause us to raise ticket prices if it became our only option.
If anyone has ANY thoughts---ideas---suggestions---feedback---questions, please give Pete a call at 517-743-1642. Thank you!
· The next meeting of the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth (SPY’s) will be held this coming Tuesday, March 9th., starting at 7 PM, at the Best Tax Service building.
· Don’t forget the special benefit spaghetti dinner that is being held on Saturday, March 27th; from 4 to 8 PM at the Sunfield Community Rooms. Take-out will be available. Call Sara Knight at 269-876-6489 for further information.
News From The SSAA
The Sunfield Summer Athletic Association (the SSAA), is tentatively moving forward to get our kids back on the ball fields this spring and are accepting sign ups for boys and girls from t-ball on up. We are asking parents to sign up so we can gauge interest and get these kids out of the house and playing ball!
For further information and / or to get a sign-up form, go to:
Spring Clean-Up News
The Eaton County Department of Resource Recovery organizes three annual events per year to accommodate the proper disposal of wastes such as:
• Household Hazardous Waste
• Scrap Tires
These events are open to all Eaton County residents, but do require specific event registration for attendance. Registration will be available online or by phone. The first event will be held on Saturday, May 1st. in Delta Township. Registration for this event is required for participation. Registration will open March 15, 2021 at 12:00 pm and will be available until April 28, 2021 at 12:00 pm.
· Deep Thought of the Week: Do you remember, before the internet, that people thought the cause of stupidity was the lack of access to information? Yeah. It wasn’t that.
· Notable Quote: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal. it is the courage to continue that counts.”---Winston Churchill
· That’s Puny Department: Here’s a question for you---If a cow doesn’t produce milk, is it a milk dud or an udder failure?
· Did You Know Section? According to Albert Einstein, if honeybees were to disappear from earth, humans would be dead within 4 years.
· If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s---events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
· NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at email@example.com with their email address, and I will add them to the distribution. It’s as easy as that!