SPY’s Newsletter #113
Sunfield SPY's Community Foundation Trades
Scholarship / Award Applicant Criteria
Almost a year ago the SPY’s Community Foundation announced a totally new scholarship program. In addition to the traditional scholarships we have awarded over the past 34 years, we branched out to cover students wishing to enter a trade.
Applications were made available through the Lakewood High School guidance office or from the SPY’s website at
www.sunfieldareaspys.com. However, we got absolutely no takers! Much to our disappointment, not one single student applied. So, we are going to try again to get the word out and see if we can generate some interest in this new opportunity.
We know this has been a bizarre year, with the COVID mess and the politicians getting too full of themselves. Once again, if things don’t change, it will be a challenge for graduating seniors come Spring, but we hope we will be able to muddle through it all.
The following is the basic criteria for the new Trades Scholarships:
· Applicant must be a resident of the Sunfield Area (i.e.: lives within the boundaries of the old Sunfield Elementary School Attendance Area).
· Applicant must apply in writing on the form provided by March 15th of the year of graduation.
· Applicant must provide a high school transcript.
· Home-school applicants are also eligible, but must submit SAT or ACT scores.
· This is a one-time award.
· If a scholarship winner, you must be able to show proof of a trades related college program or trades school registration to receive money.
· If applicant is entering an apprentice program, a cash “Tool Allowance” award will be made upon presentation of documentation of at least six-months employment in an apprentice program.
· The decision of the Scholarship Selection Committee is final and is not subject to appeal.
If you have any questions or require further information, please contact John Fisher at 517-648-0969 or email at
Once again, applications for either Scholarship / Award Program we offer are available on-line at the SPY’s website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
If you know of a graduating Senior from the area that may be interested, please encourage them to apply!
· Lyle & Karen Van Houten made a donation in memory of Janis Ainsworth.
· Lewis & Emma Trowbridge also gave in memory of Janis Ainsworth.
· We received a Pay Pal contribution from Alex & Sarah Jones.
· Ron & Marlene McDiarmid renewed their Platinum Sponsorship status with the SPY’s for 2021.
· Bill & Patti Weller also renew their Platinum Sponsorship and gave in memory of Dave Beach.
· We received a most generous donation from someone who wished to remain anonymous.
We can’t tell you how important these contributions, and others, have been! Especially since the limited time we ran our Dime Pitch Booth at the Farmer’s Picnic has been the only fund-raiser we have been able to manage since early last February.
We are indeed grateful for this generous support! We thank everyone who has stepped up and helped out during this extremely challenging time. You are caring, dedicated, special people. THANK YOU!!!
· Deep Thought of the Week: The best times in our lives were not about what we had, but who we were with.
· Notable Quote: “In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.”
· That’s Puny Department: Did you hear about the huge fight at Swede’s Friday seafood night? There was battered fish everywhere.