SPY’s Community Newsletter
Christmas Greetings !
The Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth (The SPY’s) and the Sunfield Community Foundation extend the warmest of Christmas greetings to all our contributors, friends and loyal followers out there. May you all have a joyous Christmas and a healthy, happy, prosperous, and worry-free New Year!
Tyler Storm Honored
The Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth (the SPY’s) and the Sunfield Community Foundation launched a new program in 2020. Now, in addition to the traditional scholarship and community service awards we have given out for the past thirty-seven years, we have now begun honoring students that will be joining the military upon graduation.
As President John F. Kennedy said, "Word to the Nation: Guard zealously your right to serve in the Armed Forces, for without them, there will be no other rights to guard”---and we couldn’t agree more.
This year, we are pleased and honored to recognize Tyler Storm, a Lakewood High School graduate who lives over by Hastings. Tyler’s parents are Josh and Stacy Storm. Tyler has enlisted into the Navy.
Throughout the course of American history, courageous men and women have taken up arms to secure, defend, and maintain those core principles upon which our Nation’s freedoms depend. We thank Tyler for his willingness to serve.
In recognition of Tyler’s commitment we have presented him with the Lade Naval Military Service Medal and a $500 honorarium.
We would like to take this opportunity to wish a “Happy Retirement” to Bruce Butler who is retiring at the end of this year from his duties at the Sunfield Recycling Center. Bruce has been the mainstay at the Center for well over ten years and will be missed!
Chris & Jill Van Antwerp made their annual donation in memory of Fred, Mary, an Al Van Antwerp. We thank you for your continued support!
Lately we have had some inquiries regarding how someone can make a contribution to the SPY’s, especially memorial contributions to the Scholarship or Youth Activities Trust Funds. Here are some ways to accomplish that:
· Mail your contribution to:
2543 Eaton Highway
Sunfield, MI 48890
· Stop by the Mulliken branch of Union Bank. Tell the teller you want to make a contribution to the SPY’s. They have a special form that they will fill out to capture all of the information and pass it along to us.
· Go to the SPY’s website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com. At the top of the page click on the “Make A Donation” tab. You will be able to make a donation this way using your Pay Pal account.
· Deep Thought of the Week: Hard to believe I once had a phone attached to a wall, and when it rang, I picked it up without knowing who was calling.
· Notable Quote: “When you’re a child, you make funny faces at the mirror. When we become adults, the mirror gets even.”
· That’s Puny Department: I recently had a good buddy who ended up in the hospital when a pile of books fell on him. I’ve got no sympathy for him. He’s got his shelf to blame.
· Did You Know Section: Here are a couple of literary facts to pass on: Did you know that the Bible is the most translated book in history, but closely following it on the list is Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s 1943 novella, “The Little Prince.” To date, the book has been translated into 475 languages, including rarer dialects like Quechua and Aramaic, and has sold over 100 million copies. Also, with upwards of 500 million copies sold, “Don Quixote” is considered the best selling novel of all time. The book was written by Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes, with the first part of the novel published in 1605 and the second part published a decade later. The novel focuses on a character named Alonso Quixano, who later assumes the identity Don Quixote, who falls further and further into absurdity.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at email@example.com with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.