SPY's Newsletter 9/30/2020
Special Ceremony To Be Held Saturday, October 10th.
The Sunfield Chapter of the Daughters of Union Veterans (the D.U.V.) will be holding a special ceremony at the GAR Hall on Main Street to honor fifteen names of veterans being added to the Sunfield Area Honor Roll board. The ceremony will be held on Saturday, October 10th, at 1 PM.
The fifteen veterans to be added are:
Jeffrey D. Smith
Theodore (Ted) Stiffler
Royce W. Brooke
John L. Stiffler
Vivian C. Rairigh
Raymond M. Smith
For further information, please contact Rosie Best at 517-331-0836.
Our Adopt-A-Highway chairperson, Derek “Captain Highway” Desgranges, sends out his thanks to the crew of terrific volunteers that took on the final Adopt-A-Highway trash pick-up of the season. The SPY’s have been involved with this program for 26 years now.
We even had some folks take advantage of the “do a section early” option and did some picking up prior to Saturday. They were:
Mark & Mary Hanna
John & Sandra Fisher
The Saturday pick-up crew was:
Steve & Christina Grosshans
Buddy & Jari Collins
Lately it’s become difficult to get volunteers to step-up and pitch-in, so for those that did we are truly appreciative of your dedication to the community! THANK-YOU!
Who Are The SPY’s
In the first two chapters of “Who Are The SPY’s” we covered a brief history and philosophy of the organization. In this chapter we will pass along a smattering of other “stuff” about the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth. For instance:
We Build Things
Examples of some of the things we have constructed over the years:
Foltz Field ball diamond
Pee Wee and Little League fields
Soccer fields at the school
Three playground areas
The main pavilion at Van Buren Park
Here are a few examples of partnerships we have been involved with that have helped people and the community at large:
* The SHARE food distribution program
* Electronic Data Systems (EDS) Corporation that put computers and software in the Sunfield Elementary School free of charge.
* Lakewood Community Council’s Christmas basket distribution.
* We worked with the Disney Corporation on their program to promote volunteerism. Volunteers helping the community received free passes to Disney World.
* We were designated the area coordinators for the UAW/GM
JOBS –Bank program that provided a crew of workers that performed a number of tasks around the community from mowing the parks, to painting, to sidewalk maintenance, to work at the Library, etc.
We Support Other Things
Besides the funding we provide for various youth athletic programs and the annual scholarships, we also financially support other worthwhile activities. Here are a few examples from last year alone:
* We donated $500 to the Sunfield Fire Department Auxiliary.
* We appropriated $2,295 to fund the Sunfield Library’s Summer Reading Program.
* We donated $1,000 to the Lakewood Tackling Hunger initiative.
* We donate $1,000 each year to the Sunfield Farmer’s Picnic, which now includes underwriting the Open Class Crafts show.
* We gave financial support to the Lakewood Education Foundation.
* We once again donated $250 to Lakewood’s Project Graduation. We have been a backer of this program since its inception over 30 years ago.
We will be passing along more information about the SPY’s organization in the next Newsletter. Be sure to watch for it.
· Reflections: Butterflies are not what they used to be.
· Thoughts On Aging: Don’t irritate old people---the older we get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent.