SPY's Newsletter 5/2/23
SPY’s Community Newsletter
Calendar Of Upcoming Events
· June 1st thru the 18th.---Mapes Furniture Recliner Sale.
· Sunday, June 4th---Lakewood Lions Annual Chicken BBQ 3 to 5:30 PM Lake Odessa Beach Pavillion.
· Sunday, June 14th.---Centennial Acres Mother’s Day Brunch 10 AM til 2 PM.
· Sunday, June 11th.---33rd Annual Centennial Acres / SPY Shootout Golf Outing.
· Wednesday thru Saturday, June 21st. thru 24th.---The next Texas Hold ‘Em Poker Tournament.
· Saturday, July 15th.---The next Adopt-A-Highway trash pick-up.
The following fine folks made prize donations to the SPY’s recent Euchre Tournament:
Kurt & Penny Sandborn
Craig & Shana Cappon
Oren & Rosie Best
John & Sandra Fisher & Tom Izzo
The “Shirt Lady” from the high school
Thank you for supporting this popular event!
Unique Job Opportunity
The Eaton Conservation District is seeking a dynamic and organized team-player to serve as Environmental Outreach Coordinator. This position reports to the Executive Director and is part-time, 24 hours per week, with potential for expanded hours in the future.
The individual will fulfill three roles:
Michigan Water Stewardship Program Website Coordinator www.miwaterstewardship.org
· Manage and promote website to partners and education organizations.
· Increase website traffic by promoting through social media.
· Manage the Augmented Reality Sandbox (ARS), working with Tri-County Regional Planning Commission in scheduling the ARS, maintaining, and transporting the equipment.
Eaton County Collaborative Project Outreach Coordinator
· Perform program promotion and recruit volunteers.
· Coordinate monitoring events with the Program Manager and serve as a Team Leader for one of the volunteer teams.
· Perform data quality control, data entry and data analysis.
· Coordinate and perform District outreach.
· Support District program activities.
· Maintain accurate records and support general office upkeep.
· Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, environmental science, environmental education, or a related field plus 1-year experience (or a combination of education and experience).
· Ability to effectively coordinate and manage events and multiple projects.
· Experience with updating websites and promoting programs through blogs and social media tools.
· Ability to work independently, establish work priorities, and manage time effectively.
· Must be able to pass a federal background security check.
· Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with individuals, groups, businesses, and units of government.
Eaton Conservation District
551 Courthouse Dr., Suite 3
Charlotte, MI 48813
• Deep Thought of the Week: No one ever injured their eyesight by looking on the bright side.
· Notable Quote: "Don’t ask for an easier life----Ask to be a stronger person.”
· That’s Puny Department: A Chihuahua, a Doberman, and a Bulldog are in a bar having a drink when a great looking female Collie comes up to them and says, “Whoever can say liver and cheese in a sentence can buy me a drink.” So the Doberman says, “I love liver and cheese.” The Collie replies, “That’s not good enough.” The Bulldog says, “I hate liver and cheese.” She says, “That’s not creative enough.” Finally the Chihuahua says, “Liver alone…cheese mine.”
· Did You Know Section: Greek mathematician and scientist Heron of Alexandria invented a water clock during Alexander the Great’s reign. Its purpose was to limit the time a lawyer could speak in court.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information--- scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Community Newsletters, just send me an email at email@example.com with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.