SPY's Newsletter 5/18/22
SPY’s Community Newsletter #194
News Flash---From The Sunfield GAR Hall
This coming Sunday May 22, 2022, at 3 PM, the Daughters of Union Veterans will be putting out flags at the cemeteries. They will start at the Sunfield Cemetery on St Joe Highway and could use some help putting out the flags on veteran’s gravesites. How about showing up and lending a hand. It would sure be appreciated.
Then on the following Sunday May 29, 2022, also at 3 PM, the Daughters of Union Veterans will be hosting a Memorial Day service at the Sunfield United Brethren Church on Grand Ledge Highway here in Sunfield.
For further information on either activity, please contact Rosie Best at 517-331-0836.
· A BIG, and I mean HUGE, Sunfield Area SPY salute foes out to Zeke & Samantha Cappon for stepping up and volunteering to take on the Chairmanship of the annual Dime Pitch Booth fund-raising activity. Thank you Zeke & Samantha!
· Speaking of the Dime Pitch---please keep in mind that we are always in need of donations of stuffed animals of any type and size, as well as small to medium sized glassware for our Dime Pitch Booth fundraiser that we hold during the Farmer’s Picnic. Stuffed animals can be new or slightly used but clean.
Any donation can be made by dropping off donations at the Best Tax Service building located on M-43 in Sunfield.
· Centennial Acres Golf & Banquet Center is now offering Daily Food Specials from 4 PM to 9 PM each week Monday thru Friday. In addition to their regular menu items, they now are offering at least four “specials” that will change each week. They also welcome to-go orders. Sound good? Call 517-566-8055 to see what’s cookin’.
· The Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth (the SPY’s) would like to extend a warm WELCOME to our new member Lynne Marie Hatt. Welcome aboard Lynne!
· We have an anonymous donor who made a significant repeat donation.
· Correction: Brian & Lorraine Benedict and Kendall & Kerry Wilcox made a donation in memory of Jeannine Rogers.
· Jim & Diny Peabody renewed their SPY’s Platinum Sponsorship for 2022.
· John & Sandra Fisher made a contribution in memory of Juaise Peabody.
· A special salute goes out to Todd Woodman for is recent contribution to the Sunfield girls 9 – 10 year old softball team.
We THANK YOU one and all for your thoughtfulness and caring, and for helping us help kids and the community. You are indeed special people!
The Shootout Is Coming!
Sunday, June 12th. will be the BIG day! It will be the thirty-third annual "Centennial Acres / SPY Shootout" Golf Tournament. Over the years, this has become THE major fundraiser for the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth. We are counting on a great turnout to help us generate the necessary funding to maintain the wide variety of youth programs, both athletic and scholastic, that the SPY’s provide. All proceeds from this event go to the many kids and community programs the SPY’s support.
The “Shootout” is a four-person scramble format event, with separate divisions for men (with different flights), women, senior men, and coed teams. (With the Senior Division teams, the youngest team member must be at least 60 years old). Each division will be flighted, which means you will be competing with teams pretty much the same caliber as yours. There will be a number of specialty holes, as well as raffles. Registration forms are now available in the Centennial Acres Pro Shop, or by contacting Tournament Directors Derek Desgranges, (269) 838-7686, or Steve Grosshans, (269) 838-6459.
Again this year we are featuring an all you can eat outdoor grill with all of the trimmings for the golfers. In addition, all Corporate and Platinum Sponsor teams will be competing for the coveted "Challenge Cup".
For more information, or if you want to get a team into the tournament, contact either Derek or Steve. Come on golfers! This is a great, fun way to help us help kids!
2021 Junior Golf Clinics At Centennial Acres
These clinics are great for the beginning Junior Golfer of all ages.
Two hours per clinic gives ample time to introduce golf to your Junior. We teach to the potential of the Junior. Look at these clinics as scheduled practice with instruction. Hope to see your junior at EVERY clinic if possible.
Here are the scheduled clinics for this year:
Clinic #1: Wednesday, June 15th. from 10 AM until Noon.
Clinic #2: Wednesday, July 20th. from 6 PM until 8 PM
Clinic #3: Wednesday, August 3rd. from 10 AM until Noon.
Clinic #4: Wednesday, August 17th. from 3 PM until 5 PM.
(This will be a play on course event)
Clinic #5: Wednesday, August 31st. from 2 PM until 4 PM.
· The Cost is $20.00 per clinic, which includes driving range, Instruction & fun.
· Clubs provided upon request.
· To sign up for the clinics please call the Pro Shop at 517-566-8055 and pay the day of event.
News Flash---From The Lakewood Lions Club
On Sunday, June 5th, the Lakewood Lions Club will be holding their annual Chicken Bar-B-Q from 3 PM til 5:30 PM. Everything you need to know is in the flyer that is attached below. Check it out!
• Deep Thought of the Week: I don’t understand why when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it progress.
• Notable Quote: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."---Eleanor Roosevelt
• That’s Puny Department: I was shocked to read in the papers today that a dwarf had been pickpocketed and I just thought to myself, “How can anyone stoop so low?”
• Did You Know Section: US Navy Vice Admiral Joel T. Boone is the most highly decorated medical officer in the history of the US Armed Forces. During World War I, he received the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, 6 Silver Stars, and 3 Purple Hearts for heroism. He also served as a physician for US Presidents.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past
SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at email@example.com with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.