SPY's Newsletter 4/3/23
SPY’s Community Newsletter
New Sunfield Dollar General Store
Going Up Quickly
First Adopt-A-Highway trash Pick-Up Coming Soon
Our illustrious “Captain Highway” a.k.a. Derek Desgranges, fearless leader of the SPY’s Adopt-A-Highway project, wants to remind everyone about Saturday April 22nd. will be the first highway trash pick-up of the season. The SPY's pick-up trash along M-43 from Round Lake Road on the west side of town to Shaytown Road on the east side of town, three times a year in conjunction with the Michigan Department of Transportation program.
Again, if for any reason you can’t make it for the April 22nd. pick-up day, but would still like to help out by doing some picking up on a different day of that week, just give Derek a call at 269-838-7686 and get some bags and he will give you a small section to take care of.
What do you say, let’s have a great turnout and spiff up the roadsides leading into our community.
Information to the Lakewood Lions
Our next meeting is tomorrow, Tuesday April 4th, at 6:30 pm at Cunningham’s Acre in Lake Odessa.
Our Guest Speaker will be our good Lion Friend Gwen Botting, who will once again update us on the coming summer activities of her OUB [Opportunities Unlimited for the Blind] summer camp where she teaches limited vision kids a variety of Life Skills. Expect Gwen to outline where we can help her prepare for these Camps, and to let us know of work day dates to prepare the Camp for all the summer activities. Bring your friends who may be interested in learning about this incredible initiative, and may also be interested in helping out.
Our next scheduled meeting is our “Night of Sight” with Eversight on Wednesday, May 10th. at the VFW Hall in Lake Odessa.
• Deep Thought of the Week: God doesn’t give you the people you want---he gives you the people you need. To help you---to hurt you---to leave you---to love you---and to make you the person you were meant to be.
· Notable Quote: ''A true friend is the greatest of all blessings, and that which we take the least care of all to acquire.''---FRANCOIS DE LA ROCHEFOUCAULD
· That’s Puny Department: My boss is going to fire the employee with the worst posture. I have a hunch, it might be me.”
· Did You Know Section: PROOF is the measure of alcohol in beverages. The use of this term originated in the sixteenth century when governments needed a way to “prove” the quantity of alcohol in a beverage in order to calculate its tax. This was done by soaking a gunpowder pellet in the liquid and then trying to light the pellet. If it ignited, the liquor was considered “above proof” and taxed at a higher rate than liquor that wouldn’t ignite.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---
scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Community Newsletters, just send me an email at email@example.com with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.