SPY's Newsletter 3/27/23
SPY’s Community Newsletter
Euchre Tournament Report
Last Saturday marked the 38th time the SPY’s Euchre Tournament (aka “The Showdown on Main Street”) has been held. This year we had 42 people participate. Here are the results:
+ The Overall Grand Champion---Tammy Wakely (93 points)
+ First Place Men’s Division---Lori Wortley (aka “Larry”) (80 points)
+ First Place Women’s Division---Shana Cappon (79 points)
+ Last Place Men’s Division---Gabe Bowen (42 points)
+ Last Place Women’s Division---Robbie Mutchler (50 points)
+The “Sticky Buns Award” (most losses in a row)---Kurt Sandborn
+ The 50/50 Winner---Connie Hall
+ Raffle Winners:
Thank you to our event Chairmen---Casey & Bethany Shettler. The Shettlers fell ill at tournament time, so Craig & Shana Cappon stepped up and filled in for them at the last minute, with the able assistance of Renee Strimback.
Here are the various winners:
Thank You Volunteers!
Here is a group of volunteers we would like to acknowledge that stepped-up and worked a shift at last week’s four day Texas Hold “Em fund-raiser held at The Event Spot in Lansing. These events are headed up by Jeff Gibbs, and he would like to send out a special thank-you to this fine crew:
Thank you all for your willingness to volunteer, and by so-doing helping us help kids and the community! We were especially heartened by the fact that we had a couple of brand new people, who had never worked a Hold ‘Em before step-up and volunteer! That was super!
· There is an Easter Egg Hunt just around the corner. That’s right folks, the Sunfield Historical Society / Welch Museum will once again be holding a community Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 8th. It will start at 11 AM. Here are some details:
· There will be three age groups
1 – 4
5 – 8
9 – 12
· There will be prizes for each age group
· Each age group will have their own “hunt area”
· Special bags will be provided
For further information, please contact Pearl Sipperley at (517) 230-6374.
· For those of you out there in Newsletter land that are aware of the legendary record of “Myrtle The Fertile Turtle”, here is the latest update. Zeke & Samantha Cappon are the latest “targets”. And so, the unbelievable record continues!
· The next meeting of the Sunfield Area Sponsors of Programs for Youth (SPY’s) will be held on Tuesday, April 11th. starting at 6:30 PM, at the Best Tax Service building on M-43. Guests are always welcome!
• Deep Thought of the Week: It is wonderful when the people believe in their political leader---but it would be even more wonderful when the politicians actually believed in the people
· Notable Quote: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
· That’s Puny Department: I’ll bet it has never occurred to you that claustrophobic people are more productive thinking outside the box.
· Did You Know Section: The first college basketball game was played on January 18, 1896. The “experimental” game was held between the University of Iowa and the University of Chicago in Iowa. The University of Chicago won the game 15 to 12.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Community Newsletters, just send me an email at
firstname.lastname@example.org with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.