SPY's Newsletter 2/21/22
SPY’s Community Newsletter #179
Surprise 90th Birthday Celebration For Dale Foltz
Last week Dale Foltz celebrated his 90th birthday. What made this event extra special is that MSU Basketball Coach Tom Izzo and Will Tieman, President & CEO of the Spartan Sports Network, (Will is also the broadcast “voice” of Spartan basketball), honored Dale during Coach Izzo’s weekly radio broadcast held at Reno’s in East Lansing.
Will knows that Coach Izzo is a huge football fan, and he knew Dale was in the audience celebrating his 90th birthday. Coach Izzo was delighted to meet Dale---especially after Will Tieman gave a brief outline of Dale’s playing career at MSU.
Dale played football for MSU from 1951 thru 1954. During Dale’s playing years at State, the football team were National Champions two years in a row---1951 & 1952-----from 1951 and into 1953, they won 28 games in a row, which was a Big 10 record that stood for quite some time---they also won the 1954 Rose Bowl, just to list a few of the highlights.
A Ton Of News Tid-Bits
· The Sunfield Summer Athletic Association is happy to report that sign-ups for community T-ball; Baseball; and Softball are now available!
To register online, visit: https://www.sunfieldareaspys.com/ssaa
Alternatively, you can visit the Sunfield Library on Saturday, March 12th for in person sign ups from 10 AM - 12 PM.
Practices will begin the week after Spring Break and games start in May and run through mid-June.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or find them on Facebook!
· Don’t forget, coming up on Saturday, March 5th will be the return of the Welch Museum’s “Dar Benjamin Memorial Chili Cook-Off”. The hours are from 11:30 AM until 3 or 4 PM. In addition to the chili, there will be kids games and great prizes. For further information contact either Diane Benjamin (517- 282-2040), or Pearl Sipperley (517-230-6374). Hope to see you there!
· Attention High School Seniors! Don’t forget the deadline for the submission of applications for any of the SPY’s Community Foundation scholarships is Tuesday, March 15th. Applications and detailed information about all of the scholarship opportunities is available on-line at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
· On Saturday March 26th, 2022, SPY's will host a 9-pin no tap Bowling Tournament / fund-raiser to benefit the SPY's various youth and community programs. It will be held at the Buddy’s On The Beach Bowling Alley in Lake Odessa
Sign-in at 11:45am
This event will be limited to the first 40 bowlers signed up. Cost of the Bowling Tournament will be $25 per bowler. Ball and shoes are available. Please arrive early to find a ball to use if necessary
To sign-up, the event chairman Jeff Gibbs needs your name on his list. He can be reached via any of the following ways:
e-mail at MSgtGibbs@Hotmail.com
or via text at (517) 930-6989,
or via voice message at (517) 566-3355.
· There WILL be a Euchre Tournament this year! Details are being worked out now. We thought we were all set to once again hold the tournament at the Community Room, but we understand it has been closed down until further notice. We are currently exploring other alternatives. Stay tuned for details.
· LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO RENT---A fine, upstanding older gentleman is looking for a place to rent in the Sunfield / Mulliken area. His name is Dave Loszewski. He’s a great guy! If you have a place to rent, or know of one, please give Dave a call at 517-242-8711.
• Deep Thought of the Week: A quiet man is a thinking man. A quiet woman is usually mad.
• Notable Quote: " “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”---Arthur Ashe
• That’s Puny Department: Where did the Terminator find toilet paper? (Answer: Aisle B, Back)
Did You Know Section: David Niven was the only British star in Hollywood to enlist during World War II. When suspicious American guards asked during the Battle of the Bulge who had won the World Series in 1943, being British, he answered “Haven’t the foggiest idea … but I did co-star with Ginger Rogers in ‘Bachelor Mother’!” Niven ended the war as a lieutenant colonel.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---
scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at
email@example.com with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.