SPY's Newsletter 10/13/22
SPY’s Community Newsletter #221
Meet Nolan DeVee
A number of people have asked who did the outstanding paint job on the “Sunfield Welcomes You” sign, East of town on M-43, that was recently totally rehabbed. Well now, here is your answer. it was Nolan DeVee. He is a professional sign person. His business name is “Ledges Signs and Service” and he is located right here in Sunfield! His shop is in the back part of the old Charlie and Bob Bumgardner building “down on the corner”.
Nolan does a lot of commercial work including awnings, LED Lighting, neon, electric signs, vehicle graphics, graphic design, plastic fabrication, banners, sign maintenance and installations, etc.
Don’t Look Now, But…
Speaking of the old Charlie and Bob Bumgardner building, we understand that a new business is going to soon be operating in the front part of the building. I have talked to the person that will be opening in the very near future, after the interior revamping work is completed, and he is really excited to get things going. We will be doing a full report once the grand opening gets closer.
This area’s top proponent of 4-H activities, Peg Heinze, asked me to pass along the following information:
Current 4-H members have information on re-enrollment in the program. This message focuses on enrollment for kids not currently participating in 4-H.
The 2022-2023 4-H Enrollment Deadline is November 15, 2022. Information regarding enrollment and clubs accepting new members can be obtained by calling Eaton County MSU Extension Office at 517-543-2310.
SPY’s Blackstone Griddles Raffle Update
Here is some more information on the new top-rated Blackstone Griddles that the SPY’s are raffling off.
The Blackstone 36’’ Griddle is the perfect choice for anyone who loves to entertain guests and barbecue outdoors. It features four heat controls and 60,000 BTUs for tons of power to create your favorite meals. You can choose to make anything on this griddle, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
It has the space to accommodate 28 burgers or 72 hot dogs. Thanks to the rear grease management system, cleaning the Blackstone griddle has been made easier than ever now. It has a 720 square inch cooking surface, and it comes equipped with side shelves for extra space. It has 4 independently controlled cooking zones with stainless steel tube burners, and a dual drawer gas-powered air fryer to roast, bake, and fry.
We are raffling two of the 36” Griddles, and one of the 28” Griddles.
Get your tickets today and help us help the kids and the community from any of the following:
Pete Weller (517-743-1642)
John Fisher (517-648-0969)
Jeff Gibbs (517-930-6989)
Renee Strimback (269-967-5787)
Sam Coan (517-282-60530
Rosie Best (517-331-0836)
Or, you can stop by the Best Tax Service office on either Tuesday or Thursday between 9 AM and 4 PM.
· Ashton King from the Ashton King Insurance Agency renewed their Corporate Sponsor Program status for 2023.
· Mark Woodman Plumbing & Heating donated in memory of Sue Eagen Curtis.
· The Sunfield Farmers Picnic Committee made contributions in honor of Wesley Brummette and Braelyn Gibbs.
· John & Sandra Fisher made donations to the Scholarship Fund in memory of Larry Steward; Fred Hart; and William Jones.
Sunfield Welcomes You Sign Renovation Project
Gets A $ Boost
We salute the Mark Woodman Plumbing & Heating Company for their recent contribution to help defray the costs of the work that was done on the “Sunfield Welcomes You” sign.
Glassware Donations Sought
Clean out the cupboards and round up any glassware, (especially logoed glasses), that the SPY’s can use in their Dime Pitch Booth at the Farmer’s Picnic. If you have anything to donate please contact our new project chairpeople, Zeke & Samantha Cappon at 517-331-3360, or drop off any donations at the Best Tax Service office.
• Deep Thought of the Week: What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
• Notable Quote: “"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them."--- Benjamin Franklin
• That’s Puny Department: Here’s a riddle for you---How do you turn a duck into a soul singer? Haven’t got a clue? You simply put the duck in the microwave until it’s Bill Withers.”
• Did You Know Section: From the day it opened in 1912, until the final game in September of 1999, Tiger Stadium was witness to more home runs than any other ballpark in baseball.
+ Babe Ruth hit 60 homers there, the most by any visiting ballplayer.
+ No one hit more homers in Tiger Stadium than Al Kaline, who belted 226 there, while hitting 187 on the road
+ 19-year old pitcher Denny McLain hit a home run there on
September 21, 1963, in his first big league game, and never hit another.
+ Several players hit balls over the roof in right field at The Corner. Most notably were Detroit hitters Norm Cash and Jason Thompson who did it numerous times. But few players ever accomplished the feat of hitting a baseball over the left field roof – a much more lengthy blast. The four to achieve that were Harmon Killebrew, Frank Howard, Mark McGwire, and Cecil Fielder. Only Fielder did it for the home team
+ Babe Ruth hit a ball that cleared the right field stands and some claim traveled more than 600 feet. Kirk Gibson famously hit a ball over the right field roof that landed in the lumberyard across the street, traveling a distance of more than 500 feet.
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past
SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at www.sunfieldareaspys.com.
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at email@example.com with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.