SPY's Newsletter 4/13/22
SPY’s Community Newsletter #189
Looking For A Little Help Here
The Sponsors of Programs for Youth (the SPY’s) have a couple of activities coming up in the next two weeks that we could use a little volunteer support on. Here they are:
· Our illustrious “Captain Highway” a.k.a. Derek Desgranges, fearless leader of the SPY’s Adopt-A-Highway project, wants to remind everyone about Saturday April 23rd. will be the first highway trash pick-up of the season. The SPY's pick-up trash along M-43 from Round Lake Road on the west side of town to Shaytown Road on the east side of town, three times a year in conjunction with the Michigan Department of Transportation program.
All Saturday “pickers” are asked to meet at the Best Tax Service building, located just West of the blinker light at the main corners. Again, if for any reason you can’t make it for the April 23rd. pick-up day, but would still like to help out by doing some picking up on a different day of that week, just give Derek a call at 269-838-7686 and get some bags and he will give you a small section to take care of.
What do you say, let’s have a great turnout and spiff up the roadsides leading into our community.
· The next Texas Hold ‘Em Poker Tournament we are scheduled to work will take place Wednesday, April 27th thru Saturday, April 30th. We are in need of volunteers to sell chips. This is an EXTREMELY important fund-raiser for the SPY’s. How about lending a hand? Here are the shifts we are currently trying to fill:
Wednesday 6:15 pm 10:30 pm FILLED
10:30 pm til Closing need 2 people
Thursday 6:15 pm - 10:30 pm need 2 people
10:30 pm til Closing FILLED
Friday 11:45 am – 3 pm FILLED
3 -6 pm FILLED
Saturday 11:45 am – 3 pm need 2 people
3 – 6 pm need 2 people
For further information about working the event, or to sign-up to take a shift (or two), please contact our event Chairman Jeff Gibbs by means of any of the following ways:
· e-mail at MSgtGibbs@Hotmail.com
· or via text at (517) 930-6989,
· or via voice message at (517) 566-3355.
If you have never worked a Texas Hold ‘Em event there absolutely is nothing to fear. It is easy, simple tasks that are involved. We are not “The House”, so we don’t deal cards, or gamble in any way against the players. The players compete against each other. The work we do simply amounts to selling and redeeming chips for the players at one end of the room. Once every hour someone goes out to the dealers and gets some chips from the dealers that is called “the rake”. That is all there is to it.
This Texas Hold ‘Em will be held in the Event Spot room that is located behind the Heavenly Ham store on the South side of Saginaw Street in Lansing, which is across from the Lansing Mall. Give Jeff a call at 517-930-6989 to volunteer for a shift ,or to get more information.
SSAA Is Still Looking For Umpires
The Sunfield Summer Athletic Association (the SSAA) is still looking for some folks interested in umpiring youth baseball and softball ball games this coming season here in Sunfield. This is a CASH paying job! For more information, or to sign up for duty, please contact Steve Grosshans at 269-838-6459.
· Anthony & Carol Santini made a donation in memory of Robert Harms.
· Renee & Avery Strimback contributed in memory of Jack Estep.
· Mark Woodman Plumbing & Heating made donations in memory of the following:
· We received another contribution from “The Blackbaud Giving Fund”, which was on behalf of Takeda Pharmaceuticals and made possible by Alex Jones.
· The following gave through the UPS Frontstream charitable giving program:
Thank you all for your thoughtfulness and caring!
· There are currently 128 kids signed up to play ball this summer in Sunfield on the various local teams.
· There were 43 bowlers that participated in the recent SPY’s No-Tap Bowling Tournament.
· Pete Weller reported out that 20 tables have already been reserved for the 2023 Wild Game Dinner / Sportsman’s Night event! Want to find out some details about the return of this fabulous event? Give Pete a call at 517-743-1642.
· Congratulations to Alex Jones on becoming the latest SPY’s Platinum Sponsor.
· Centennial Acres has announced the return of their popular Friday Night Fish Frys. See flyer attached below.
· Deep Thought of the Week: If you had $1 for every year the universe has existed (approximately 13.8 billion years), you wouldn't even make the top 50 on the Forbes list.
· Notable Quote: “You can’t get rich in politics unless you’re a crook.”-----Harry S. Truman
· That’s Puny Department: She said she missed me. Normally that would be good. But, she’s reloading.
· Did You Know Section: San Pedro prison or El penal de San Pedro (Saint Peter's Prison) is the largest prison in La Paz, Bolivia and is renowned for being a society within itself. Significantly different from most correctional facilities, inmates at San Pedro have jobs inside the community, buy or rent their accommodation, and often live with their families. The sale of cocaine base to visiting tourists gives those inside a significant income and an unusual amount of freedom within the prison walls. Elected leaders enforce the laws of the community, commonly through stabbing. The prison is home to nearly 3,000 inmates (not including the women and children that live inside the walls with their convicted husbands), with additional guests staying in the prison hotel
1. If there is any organization or business out there that has something they would like to advertise or promote, please feel free to submit it to this Newsletter and we will help publicize it. There is no charge. We are glad to provide this means as a public service to help keep the community informed.
2. If you are looking for further information about the SPY’s events---Corporate or Platinum Sponsorship information---
scholarship forms---youth sports reimbursement forms---past
SPY newsletters---etc.---just go to the SPY website at
3. NOTE: If you know of anyone who would like to receive these SPY’s Newsletters, just send me an email at
firstname.lastname@example.org with their email address and we will add them to the distribution list.